To be admitted to the to the program with graduate standing, students must:
- Meet the general requirements for admission to graduate instruction at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, as described by the Graduate College.
- Complete the prerequisite preparation in intermediate microeconomic theory (ECON-302), intermediate macroeconomic theory (ECON-303), and statistical analysis (ECON-262), plus at least one semester of calculus.Students interested in the economics MA with insufficient undergraduate preparation may be admitted contingent on the deficiency being corrected by taking one or two undergraduate courses. Such students should contact the graduate coordinator of the economics department before applying for the program.
- Achieve a score of 2100 or higher on the following formula: 200 times the grade point average (computed on a 4.00 scale) plus 1.5 times the combined score on the quantitative and verbal portion of the Graduate Record Exam.
- International applicants from countries where English is not the native language, or who did not receive a degree from an institution where English is the language of instruction, must show competency in English. The Graduate College requires a score of 550 on the written, or 213 on the computerized, version of the Test of English Language (TOEFL) or 85 on the Michigan Test. Credentials not written in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation, as described by the Graduate College.
- International applicants must submit a completed Certificate of Finance to the Office of International Students amp; Scholars. In addition, international applicants must satisfy the financial eligibility requirements before an I-20 will be issued.
The following admission materials are required for all applicants.
To UNLV Graduate College:
- Complete an online Graduate-College application and submit a nonrefundable admission application fee. The most current application fees for U.S. citizens and international applicants and admission applications can be accessed by clicking here. Checks or money orders should be made payable to the UNLV Board of Regents. Applications and attendant materials will not be processed until the fee is paid.
- Submit one official transcript from all postsecondary institutions attended, showing all degrees and the dates awarded. Transcript must include all extension and correspondence work. Only transcripts sent directly from the institution are considered official. Applicants should send Graduate-College admission materials to:
- Non-English speaking international Students must submit official TOEFL or Michigan Test to the Graduate College. International Students must also submit a completed Certificate of Finance to the Office of International Students and Scholars. International students are encouraged to contact directly the Office of International Students and Scholars.
The Graduate College
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 451017
Las Vegas, NV 89154-1017
To Economics Department:
- Submit one official transcript to the economics department from all postsecondary institutions attended, showing all degrees and the dates awarded.
- Submit two letters of recommendation and a resume to the economics department. Former instructors, employers, or other professionals who can evaluate the applicants potential to complete the MA program in economics should send the letters.
- Submit the official scores from the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE to the economics department and the UNLV Graduate College. Applications are not considered complete until the department receives official GRE scores. Applicants should send economics department admission materials to:
Department of Economics
Lee Business School
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 456005
Las Vegas, NV 89154-6005
- Once accepted into the program, MA students must arrange a meeting with the graduate coordinator to discuss class schedules before enrolling in courses. Entering students should also obtain a copy of the Graduate Student Guide.
- Enroll in courses.
Economics Undergraduate Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration; Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration; Real Estate
- Minor in Economics
- Minor in Real Estate
- Tutoring Services
- Economics Club
Economics Graduate Program
- Master of Arts
- Dual M.S. Mathematics and M.A. Economics
- What Do Our Graduates Do?
- Admission Requirements
- Program Requirements
- Financial Aid
- Course Offerings
Related Economics Links
Recent School News
- LBS and Undergraduate Advising Office Host Welcome to the Major 2014
- UNLV Economics Grad First in Family to Earn Graduate Degree
- Lied Institute, State Department of Business and Industry to Host Nevada Housing Forum Sept. 22
- LBS Students Win Big at American Marketing Association International Collegiate Conference
- EMBA Program Welcomes Largest Cohort
- LBS International Ambassadors Set to Study in London This Summer
- Edward Coulson Named Director of Lied Institute for Real Estate Studies
- Lee Business School Announces 2013 Faculty Award Winners